Saturday, October 16, 2010

They exchanged the truth of God for a lie

Romans 1:25

"They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen."

This has to be one of my favorite verses, because it rings true in today's society (and sometimes, in my life) on so many levels. When I first read this verse, I thought of worshiping the creation, Earth. As I thought more about it and let it sink in, I realized "created things" could mean us; people. Maybe I didn't think of this interpretation at first, because I know I'm guilty of it.

It can be easy to replace God-worship with someone-else-worship. Whether it's a relationship, an actor or musician we aspire to be like, or a friend whose life we envy; replacing God never works out. I think the thing that makes it so easy to do, is that even if you cease to rightfully worship God, someone else will. After all, the verse does say, "The Creator-who is forever praised." Then there's the verse about how the rocks will worship God, if we won't.

It's tempting to think of ourselves as something bigger than we actually are. Like God is going to cry over us not worshiping Him. Now, this is where my lack of theological training may turn this into opinion rather than theological fact, but I don't think God's feelings are hurt as easily as we'd like to believe. I don't think if we refuse to worship Him, or replace Him, He's going to be thrown for a loop. I mean, He already knows everything we're going to do, right?

The bottom line is this; no matter what we choose to put in place of God, it can never replace God.

Justin


No comments:

Post a Comment