Sunday, November 14, 2010

Jen

Last night, I helped lead worship for a funeral service. It was for a woman named Jen; she was 40 years old and cancer took her from her husband and two children. We never met, and the service was at a church I've only attended once. Going into the service, I didn't know what to expect and I wasn't sure how The Holy Spirit would move during worship, if at all.

The service began and a feeling of celebration among mourning filled the sanctuary. We honored and thanked God for His love and the gift of life He gave, through Jen. From the recollection of her friends and family, Jen was a lovely person. She was described as "The most giving person I knew," and someone who "Didn't know any strangers."

Death is a peculiar event. It often comes without warning or reason. Many people ask the question "Why?" in response to death. I think we, as Christians should be asking the question "How?"

"How can I use this event to honor God?"
"How can I trust in God's perfect plan for my life, even in the face of adversity?"
"How?"

The answer lies in faith. Its reward is outlined in Romans 8:28:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Jen had faith and her reward was that even in death, God worked things together for her good. She understood both the cost and reward for the type of faith required to follow God and honor Him with her life. It is because of this, that God was honored last night, in front of both a Christian and non-Christian community.

Tears flooded the sanctuary as depictions of Jen's goodness, love and obedience to God's calling for her life, were described. God's impact on Jen's life was extremely evident, as was her impact through Him. I hope that when I die, I can continue to honor God with the legacy I leave behind.

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment