Friday, November 12, 2010

They aren't perfect. Nope, not even them.

I've learned so much from my parents since moving back home. I would say the most important thing I've gained is a new perspective of my parents. As a 23 year-old, I see them more as regular people than parents. I had a conversation with a friend the other night about how interesting it is to grow up and realize your parents aren't perfect. The are just people, like you, except wiser and with more life experience (hopefully). My role has shifted from mooch-everything-off-of-you son, to I'm-a-part-of-your-team-of-support-and-will-do-whatever-it-takes-to-make-you-feel-loved-by-you son. It really brings you to a higher level of appreciation when you come to be on a somewhat similar level as your parents; the human level.

I cherish every conversation with my mom, especially the deep ones. We had lunch the other day and I hung onto every word as she gave me advice on God, love and obedience. She blows me away when she speaks.

Tonight she talked to me about future plans for her life. One of the things I admire most about my mom is her ability to continue to dream and hope, despite any circumstance. As I drove us home from the theater, she described her hope to expand their house. I'm not going to lie, I got a little teary. I know that sounds a little silly but you see... like so many of us these days, my parents are in hard times financially. Expanding their house is in no way a realistic goal at the moment, yet my mother is filled with a hope only The Holy Spirit can bring. She gets it. That's why I got a little misty. I am proud to call her my mom. I pray I can someday have the courage, determination and faith she does.

Who I am is beginning to change. I'm capable of feeling deeply, again. For a while there, I felt numb to everything and I hated it. I was apathetic and complacent. It was terrible. It feels like I'm slowly waking from my sleep, ready to start living a life worthy of my calling.

I believe in love.

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment