Tuesday, September 27, 2011

One Year

Today marks the end of my first year back in Idaho. I find that very very hard to believe. Weird. So much has changed and a lot has stayed the same.

Let's start with the gear....
  • Bought a Wampler Cranked AC Clone, and it quickly became my main boost pedal.
  • Swapped my Fender Twin Amp for a Morgan AC20 top boost. Upgrade!
  • Bought a DOD FX65 Chorus, sold it. Bought an Eventide Timefactor, sold it. Bought an Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy, sold it. Bought a Crowther Hot Cake, sold it. Bough a TC Electronics Nova Delay, sold it. Bought a Gibson Les Paul, sold it. Bought a Fender Bullet Strat, sold it. (Do you see a pattern forming?)
  • Bought a Strymon Bluesky. LOVE. :)
  • Bought a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. Something else I don't know how I lived without.
  • Bought an Electro-Harmonix POG 2. Yikes!
  • Bought an Ernie Ball Volume Jr. How did I live without this?
  • Sold my Seymour Duncan Deja Vu delay.
  • Bought a Strymon Timeline. LLLLOVVVE! :) (See another pattern forming? Strymon = amazing)
  • Bought a Musicomlab EFX MKIII Controller. Totally legit.
  • Bought a Lovepedal Eternity Burst. Really dig that thing.
I'm not gonna lie, that part took a lot longer than I expected it would. Ha ha. I guess you see where my priorities lie... Being a professional musician is a nice excuse for buying nice gear.

Now onto the really important stuff...

I've met some great new friends this year. All my Starbucks pals come and gone, church peeps and the greatest of all, Jesse Shuster and my band mates!

The internship with Jesse back in the beginning of this year has taught me so much about what it means to be a better worshiper, a more respectful and humble leader and has given me so much confidence in my goal of being a career worship leader down the road. God's timing in connecting me with Jesse was amazing and I will never forget the lessons I've learned in my relationship with him.

Being in The Waiting Kind has been so incredible. I am so thankful to God for providing me with the chance to pursue my dream of being a professional musician, and to get to worship Him all the time on top of that!! More than anything, I am thankful for the close bonds and friendships God has provided through the band. Derek, Dustin and Jeff are some of my best buds now and it's so incredible to worship all the time with your best buds!! Touring blows my mind. I love it; it exceeds all the expectations I had about it!

I helped my dad start a new business and we've seen a lot of success since January of this year! That has been amazing! www.newlcajon.com

It's the little things that I missed about Idaho...

When I first got here, I realized how much I missed the amazing Fall weather and scenery. It's about to turn season again and I am so excited!! I also really missed Winter and snow. I spent so many cozy, snowy mornings at Starbucks this past Winter, tucked away from the cold. I love those moments. The smell of the air in the Summer when it first turns back from Spring is something I can't describe but that first Summer drive with the windows down always takes me back to my first Summer here. I love that.

It's been great to be back near my parents, too. My mom is constantly challenging me to love more deeply and live more sincerely and my dad is always showing me what hard work and dedication look like. I only hope I can be as good a guitarist as he is a carpenter, someday.

I've been through so many seasons in my life and being back in Idaho has been a new experience with great rewards and new challenges alike. God has taught me one very important lesson to remember above all else; Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. Phil. 4:4

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment