Friday, September 30, 2011

What Does God Want With a Broken Heart?

I was created to worship God. If it were up to me, I'd be leading worship at a church every single week. Nothing in this world compares to being in the presence of The Holy Spirit with others, connected through worship.

My understanding and interpretation of worship defines it as an offering of our hearts to God; the joy, the celebration and pain, alike.

For the past two years I've brought my broken heart to God in worship; wondering what He even wanted with it. What does God want with a broken heart? What can God do with a broken heart? It wasn't until my move to Idaho that I received my answer. Seeing a friend bring their brokenness to God in worship taught me that the reason He wants our broken hearts is to heal them.

Now, my heart hasn't been healed... yet, but I know that if I draw near to The Lord; if I bring my brokenness to him in obedience, He will heal me. That healing will be my testimony. God is my healer.

The Psalms say this about the brokenhearted:

Psalm 34: 18-19 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

19 The righteous person may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all;

God is on the side of the brokenhearted. Lay down your burdens, bring your sorrows to the Lord. Be honest with yourself if you are broken and above all, be honest with God about your brokenness. He doesn't want you to pretend you're okay, He doesn't want you to fake it or put on a happy facade when you worship Him; he wants your messed up, torn, trampled upon, hurt and broken heart. We can't hide our troubles and hurt from God, so why should we hide them from each other?

Matthew 11:28-30 says:

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

You can't hide your sorrow, you can't heal yourself. Lay down your burdens and let the healing begin.

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment